There was never butterflies. Just fire.
— Six word poem (b.c)
- 1.3 billon people could be fed with the grain and soy beans eaten by U.S. livestock. The U.S. population is only 255,600,000.
- 80% of U.S. corn and 95% of U.S. oats are eaten by livestock.
- 90% of protein, 99% of carbohydrate and 100% of dietary fiber is wasted by cycling grain through animals.
- 64% of American agricultural land is used for live stock feed.
- An acre can yield 250 pounds of beef vs. 40,000 pounds of potatoes.
- A pound of feed lot beef takes 16 pounds of grains and soybeans.
- 15 total vegetarians can be fed on the same amount of land needed to feed one person on a meat-based diet.
- See more at: http://www.amys.com/health/faq#faq_725